Thursday, October 14, 2010

Praise Him through the storm

Someone once reminded me that it is when we go through trials and tribulations that we need to give thanks and praise God more. It is very easy to praise God when things are going fine and dandy, but it is much harder to do when we feel like our life is spiraling out of control. This is still something I'm trying to learn.


God has given us many examples of how to praise Him through difficulties in life. For example, King David  has gone through so many tribulations in his life; he had to hide in the forest from King Saul, he had to cope with the death of his son Amnon, he had to run for his life from his son Absalom...yet, if you look at the book of Psalm, King David wrote so many songs praising God, especially during the time of trials.
"Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
My Savior and my God" Psalm 42:5
I often wonder how King David was able to do it, how he was able praise God with such fervent heart. As I read through Psalm, I think the answer became pretty clear. David was able to do it because He trusted God with all his heart and he knew God will keep him safe. Especially in times of trouble, God will protect him, as well as us, under His wings.
"He [God] will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shied and rampart." Psalm 91:4
King David was also able to do it because he knew where to find hope, comfort, and joy. He knew he can find help in our mighty God.
"I lift up my eyes to the hills-where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2
It is no wonder that God calls David a man after God's heart. It is time for us to learn from David's example, so we can also become someone that's after God's heart. Let us lift our hands and praise Him through the storm!

Here is another song I've been listening to recently that really helped me. Hope it helps you as well. It speaks so clearly of this message.

Casting Crowns - Praise you in this Storm


On a side note, God showed me this when I walked out of the washroom the other day, it was at a time when I was really down. Thought I share this with you. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment