Monday, October 11, 2010

It's time to act.

I've been doing a lot of self reflections lately and one thing I've realized is that a lot of my reflections are just pure thoughts, but there are no actions that follow them. Pastor John over the weekend shared about the church as a body of Christ. Each one of us is a part of this body of Christ. We are all distinct members, yet we are all needed for the work of the Lord. We all have different roles depending on what our spiritual gifts are and we need to start utilize these gifts. One thing he said that really struck me was that "each local church is the visible expression of the invisible Christ".

As I reflected on this, I realized that I've been hibernating. I've been using my shift work schedule as an excuse not to be more active in church and in community. I kept telling myself and people around me that I can't participate in various programs in church because I can't commit to a specific day of the week. This excuse became so valid that I stopped searching and stopped asking for opportunities to serve. I've became somewhat a Sunday Christian! This thought is quite scary as we are called to serve.
"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." 1 Peter 4:10
So I prayed a lot that night, to repent and to ask for opportunities to serve. What is amazing is that when we are willing to serve, God will provide opportunities! For example, the next day when I went to work, one of my fellow coworkers and I were chatting, and she mentioned that she volunteers at the local soup kitchen. She invited me along and I was so glad because it's something I was doing before that I've enjoyed, and I quit because I used the excuse that I just didn't have the time. Then on the same day at my fellowship, one of my friends mentioned that she is currently participating in a clothing drive that hands out used clothing to homeless people. She asked me if I wanted to join since she was short of volunteers. Another opportunity to serve in my community! Finally at church the next day, Pastor John asked for volunteers to help serve at the church cafe. I messaged the lady in charge of it that day and she emailed me a list of dates that were short of people, and I was available for all those dates! Like it says in Matthew 7:7,
“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you". Matthew 7:7
When we kneel down before Him and seek for opportunities to be used, the Lord will use us no matter what our circumstances are. The most important thing is that we are willing, then we will surely be used! It's time to be more active in our faith! It's time to serve in the our community and in our church. I'm not writing this to preach, I am writing to admit my mistake and to challenge those out there that are making the same mistake. Let us all strive to serve like Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment