Friday, October 22, 2010

A mother's whisper

Recently, a family friend approached me to chit chat. As we talked, she confided in me that she is going through some rough time. Her son recently broke up with his girlfriend and he is taking it quite hard. He became quite depressed and withdrawn, and he has lost confidence in his own ability. It's been hard for the mother to watch her son going through these emotions, especially the feelings of worthlessness and hopelessness. She said to me, I wish he could understand how much he means to me, no matter what anyone in this world said or thought, he will always be worthy to me. I wish I could take away his pain, I wish I could show him that things will get better. As I listened to her and watched the tears streaming down her face, I could feel the raw pain she felt and I could feel the love she had for her son. I wish I knew what to say or how to comfort her, all I could do was cry with her and remind her that God has the power to heal. God knows both their pain and He will be their stronghold and comfort.


We all go through life feeling worthless sometimes because of circumstances or because of people.Whether it is because we failed in our schooling, or because we can't find a job, or we just broke up with someone we cared about, we question our own value. Especially when we go through difficulties in life, we often wonder if we are good enough. God made it very clear in the bible what He thought of us. Quoting the most powerful verse of the bible:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
The almighty God, the creator of all things, is willing to ransom His own life for you, doesn't that tell you how much you are worth? Even when we lose sight of who we are and what we are capable of, God knows. God is constantly thinking about each one of us and His thoughts for us is greater than the sands of the sea. 
"How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you." Psalm 139:17-18
Not only does He thinks we are worthy, He also reminds us what we are capable of. Paul said to Philippians church,
"I can do all things through him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Now let us say that! We can do all things through him who strengthens us! Note it doesn't say we can do all things ourselves, it says we can do all things through Him! So it doesn't matter what people of the world tell you, we must realize that with God, we are capable of anything!

If God thinks you are worthy of His sacrifice, and He reminds you of your capability through Him, how can you otherwise?


After talking to the family friend, this song was playing on the radio as I was driving home. It's amazing how well it fits with what I wanted to share. Let us all be strong in the Lord, and never give up hope!

Sidewalk Prophets - The Words I Would Say

No comments:

Post a Comment