Monday, October 18, 2010

Gratitude

I've been thinking recently for some practical ways to praise God through the storm. While reading through Psalm, God reminded me that the best way is to count my blessings. King David praised to God in this way:
I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart; I will recount all of your wonderful deeds. Psalm 9:1
As I reflect on this, I realized that although I'm going through some tough times right now, there are still so much in life that I need to give thanks for. I'm thankful for my friends; they are there for me when I needed a shoulder to cry on. I'm thankful for my mentors, they provided me with so many words of wisdom and prayers. I'm thankful for my family; they have been so supportive. I'm thankful for my job and the wonderful people I work with. Most of all, I'm thankful that I have God in my life, the God who will never forsake me. Although things are looking gloomy right now, but I know God is in control and He will carry me through. This is a promise we can count on!


Sometimes I think about how God feels when He sees us cry. Even for us, when we see people we care about in pain, we wish we could bear that pain for them. How much more of this must He feel when He loves us with such unfailing love? One of my favorite verse in the bible is:
"You have kept count of my tossings, put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book?" Psalm 56:8
Isn't this amazing? Not only does God know all our suffering and sees all our tears, He actually collects our tears. We only collect things when they are precious to us, so our tears are so precious to God that He put them in a bottle.

Finally, I want to end this with a story everyone knows. It is a simple story, but it is a powerful and comforting reminder that God carries us during our trials. The song at the end is based on this story and it is sang by Leona Lewis. 


FOOTPRINTS
One night a man had a dream that he was walking along the beach with the LORD. Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene, he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand; one belonging to him, the other belonging to the LORD.
When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of his life there was only one set of footprints, and that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in his life...
This really bothered him and he questioned the LORD about it. "LORD, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me."
The LORD replied, "My precious, precious child. I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."


Leona Lewis - Footprints in the sand

No comments:

Post a Comment