Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What the tongue can do...

Some people say that the tongue is the strongest muscle in the body. I don't know how true that is, biologically speaking, it's impossible to compare the strength of the different groups of muscles. Personally, I think the heart is the strongest one, because once it stops, there is no life left. But the tongue is powerful in other ways, it has the ability to build a person up or cause a lot of emotional damage. We've all had experiences where we are hurt by something someone had said, or we said something that really hurt someone else. In James chapter 3,
"We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check." James 3:2
In other words, we have all failed at keeping our tongues in check. James compared the tongue to a small spark in the forest, it can set a whole forest on fire. (James 3:5-6) And once it's on fire, the damage is done and it will take a lot of effort to extinguish that fire. I've recently experienced how damaging words can be. I've hurt people I cared about unintentionally with the things I've said. Once those words leave my tongue, there is nothing I can do to get it back. Some of the damages done become irreversible and the only thing I can do is entrusting the healing onto God's hand, and recognize what I need to work on. 


It is true that our tongues can do many things, we use it to praise, to sing, to show appreciation, to compliment, to curse, to lie, to boast, to hurt...and the list goes on and on. The question is what do you use it for? The bible tells us exactly what we need to use our tongue for, we need to use it to benefit others. 
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 5:29
This is something I'm learning and trying to implement into my life. Sometimes I feel like my tongue is running so fast that things come out of my mouth without it even going through my head. It is times like this when I hurt people the most. I need to learn how to control my tongue with my head, not the other way around. Jesus said that we are all accountable for the words that comes out of our mouth.
"I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." Matthew 12:36-37
I don't think Jesus said this just to scare us, He said it so that we are reminded that we are all responsible for what we say. The key word in this quote I think is the word "careless". If our words are careless, then they are no longer beneficial for the speaker or the listener. And when the words are careless, they are the most hurtful ones. Let us all learn not to be careless with our tongue.

3 comments:

  1. hey, noone replies to your comments? meaning you'll know who all these comments are coming from huh? anyways, sometimes things are better left unsaid, but you've heard of the quote, actions speak louder than words,,,, so what if someone hurt someone else with actions instead.. words then are trivial.. please dont be so hard on yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I agree with you that actions can be hurtful as well, but I think words uttered can be as hurtful as actions. In either cases emotional damage is created and pain is experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well said my friend =)

    ReplyDelete