Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Retro-respective

Two weeks ago from today was the first day since the mid September that I woke up feeling like the storm is finally over. I finally felt like I could begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It was two weeks ago from today that the healing began.

 
As I look back on this trial, I am just so thankful for all the events that took place, for my mentors and my spiritual supports, for my growth and learning...but most of all, I am thankful for God for carrying me through this trial because a lot of times it was not me holding onto Him, it's Him holding onto me. Every time when I was close to giving up, it was God who gave me the strength to continue on. 

Someone once said to me: God promises a safe landing, but not necessarily a calm passage. I think this rings some truth. We've all experienced many trials and tribulations in life. We've also all had the experience of questioning why God allows these trials to happen to us. Many people have blogged about this already, I might as well add my two cents in. I think going through life is like swimming in the ocean. When the water is nice and calm, we can just float. Although floating is okay, but we don't develop any strength or stamina when we are just floating. But when the water is rough, that's when we are forced to swim. It is only when we are swimming that our strength, endurance, and stamina improves. This is the same in life. God allows trials to happen because it is only through trials our characters can develop and learning can take place.
"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4 
In other words, it is through trials that we can learn and become more like Him.


Now using my swimming example again, when the water is nice and calm, we just rely on ourselves and float away. We have no fear and we are content. But when the water is rough, it is then we are scared and we search and try to grab onto something. It is the same with trials in life. When things are going well in life, we become complacent and we start to rely on ourselves. But when trials occur, that when we learn to lean on God. It is during trials that we realize that our own strength is not enough and we seek help from God. David is a great example for this. During each of the trials he faced, he cried out to God and sought God for strength. In many of the psalms he wrote, he described God as his stronghold and his rock.
"The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." Psalm 18:2
So what does this mean for those who are going through trials right now? It means we need to be like David and grab onto God. We can find strength in Him.
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble" Psalm 46:1
We can also find some peace in knowing that our trials are for a good purpose and it is pale in comparison to the joy and glory that is to come.
"For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison." 2 Corinthians 4:17
"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 16:33 

No comments:

Post a Comment