Thursday, November 25, 2010

sympathy vs. empathy

I've learned recently the difference between sympathy and empathy. Often in life, we use these two words interchangeably, but there is quite a difference between the two. Sympathy is when we feel sorry or pity for the person, but we don't quite understand what they are feeling. Empathy is when we actually understand how the person feels.


I think often in life we sympathize with people, but it is very difficult to empathize with their situation. We've all had the experience of hearing someone sharing about something they are going through, we are listening intently and trying to understand how they feel, but it's hard because we've never experience it ourselves. In these situations, we don't know what to say or do. In the end all we can do is pray for them. But sometimes even that is hard; we don't even know how to pray for the person because we don't truly understand they pain they feel. Often, only when we've been through the same situation we know how to react and how to comfort.

The reason I'm writing about this is because I think sometimes God allows trials to happen because we can develop not just sympathy, but empathy. He wants us to experience different situations and different emotions in life so we can relate and comfort each other. Of course God is the ultimate comforter, but sometimes I think He uses us as well to provide support and to console each other.

Recently, God has put quite a few people in my life who are going through the same trial I went through. Listening to their stories and hearing about their pain, I can truly say that I understand because I went through the same emotions and the same frustrations. I've experienced the same pain and I've had the same doubts. Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians,
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
I couldn't agreed with this more. God was my stronghold and He really carried me through the storm. Now as the storm calms in my life, I feel so blessed that I can share my experience and the lessons I've learned with my friends who are going through the same trial. I'm glad that I can be there for them and that I can be that spiritual support. Now I can not only sympathize in this situation, I can empathize.

Although my own trial is nowhere near over, the emotions and the pain still lingers, but I know the healing has began for me and it's a wonderful feeling. As my morning begin to roll around, I am glad that I can give my friends the hope that the pain will disappear, the darkness will fade away and the morning will come.

3 comments:

  1. trail and error, and hopefully, that will give insite on the next trail that comes your way.

    there's light behind that tunnel,,,

    aaawww you're always so helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever you are, thank you, your comment has made my day :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahahhaha, sucker,,, tricks are for kids.. hehehe

    keep it up, but umm, maybe next time, make it shorter,, busy schedule here, i can't read them all

    im kidding =)

    ReplyDelete