Saturday, November 13, 2010

Gifts from God

The bible tells us that God is a giver of gifts.
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." James 1:17 

He hands out gifts of all shapes and sizes; but of course, His biggest gift for us is dying on the cross for our sins.
"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God." Ephesians 2:8
I've been thinking recently though of all the other gifts God has given to us. I think one of the biggest gifts He has given to each one of us is the people He placed in our life. I am so thankful for the people in my life, whether they are a part of my past or a part of my present, whether they made me laugh or made me cry, I truly believe they were or they are a part of my life for a reason. With each person in my life and each event that occurred, I've learned and I've grown. Sometimes I learned directly from the person, other times I learned as a result of having them in my life.

This topic sprang on because I met quite a few people recently who are going through some very difficult trials in life. Hearing their stories, I truly admire their courage, strength, and resilience. I feel so blessed to be able to be there for them and to be able to pray for them. I learned so much from each person and I am so glad that I can take part on their journey with them. Their growth in the Lord, their search for meaning, their strength to hold onto what's important, I am truly encouraged by them. One of them shared with me her favorite verse:
"Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me." Psalm 139:7-10

I want to share with you the song I've been listening to a lot lately. Sometimes we may feel lost, we may feel like we are just one in a billion walking down the street, but to God, each one of us is special and we belong to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment