Thursday, March 31, 2011

Gohan Sushi

Address: 1815 Rosser Ave., Burnaby

JS and I met up for dinner the other day to have some girl time together. We wanted to stay around the Burnaby area. I've heard of this new restaurant that opened near my place, the reviews for it were fantastic, so I suggested we go there to try it. 

Gohan Sushi is this small Japanese restaurant that opened near Brentwood mall. The owners are not Japanese, they are actually Taiwanese I think. I was a little taken back when I heard them speaking in Mandarin, I mean, a Japanese restaurant owned by Chinese people? I couldn't help but doubt the authenticity of the food. But I figured, since we were already there, we might as well give it a shot. 

For a small restaurant, the menu was pretty comprehensive. They had the typical Japanese appetizers and rolls, but they also had some original items. We decided to order a few items to share because we wanted to try as much stuff as we can. I did my research prior to coming, so I already had in mind which items to order. We started with their popular garlic chicken karaage. It was okay. I guess I expected more garlic taste judging from the name of the dish.


Then we tried one of their highly recommended original item, rice cake sticks. What are rice cake sticks? They are really just rice and vegetable covered with spring roll and deep fried. The sticks are served with three types of sauces. This was pretty good, but the idea seems really simple doesn't it?


Finally, we wanted to filled up with some of their original rolls. The website describes Vancouver roll as "Salmon, Cream Cheese, Avocado, Tempura Butter, Lightly Fried". It was pretty delicious, although I couldn't quite figure out what the dark sauce is. 


The next original roll we picked was the Gohan roll. Hey, if it's named after the restaurant, it must be good right? This was "Avocado, Masago, Imitation Crab, Cucumber, Tempura Butter". I had no idea what tempura butter is, but it just sounded so intriguing. Anyways, the roll was decent, but it was definitely too big to fit into the mouth in one go.  


Overall, I quite enjoyed my dinner at Gohan Sushi. The food was pretty delicious and they had quite a bit of specialty items. Plus, the restaurant was nice and quiet, and the service was really good. I would return again.

Gohan Japanese

No comments:

Post a Comment