Thursday, March 10, 2011

Words to God

A coworker of mine approached me during our break one day with a question. She asked me how do quadriplegics pray to God when they can't kneel down before Him. At first I had trouble understanding her question, then I realized that she thought the only way we can pray to Jesus is by kneeling down in front of our bed or in front of an alter, like how prayers are depicted in pictures. I explained to her that praying is like talking to Jesus, we can talk to Him anywhere and anytime. It's interesting that people often assume there is a particular way to pray, whether it's our body position or the words we use. The truth is, praying is like talking to a friend, you can tell Jesus you thoughts and feelings. It doesn't have to be poetic or Shakespeare like, it just have to be from the heart. Jesus doesn't care how we pray, He only cares that we pray.
"And why you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."
I have to admit, I have not been a very diligent prayer. I too often become lazy and complacent. It's only the last year that I've truly understood the power of prayer. What used to stop me from praying is the assumption that Jesus already knows everything. If He knows my thoughts and my prayers, then why do I need to say anything? While this may be true, He still want us to talk to Him and to build our relationship with Him. I mean, think about the time when a friend calls you just to talk and to share with you his/her thoughts or problems, how did it make you feel? I think for most of us, we feel honored and happy that our friend is willing to confide in us, we feel trusted and relied upon... often, friendship strengthens and relationship grows stronger. This is what prayer is all about. It's about making that time to talk to God. It's about building relationship with God. It's about getting to know God. Often when we know God more and more, we change more and more. Soren Kierkegaard, a Christian philosopher in the 1800s once wrote, "prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays."

Of course, the other part of prayer is asking God for what we need or desire. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. In fact, Jesus wants us to do that. 
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6
Here He reminded us not to be anxious and entrust everything into His hand. He told us to present our request to Him. But what if you don't even know what to request? Have you ever faced one of those situations where you don't even know what you want or what is the best for you? In those situations, how do you pray? Paul reminded us in Romans that in those situations, the spirit intercedes and prays for us.
"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words." Romans 8:26
In the past few months, that's how I've been feeling. I feel like I'm faced with situations that I simply have no idea what I want. I don't know if I want to step forward or backward. I simply don't know what to do because I am scared of the result. In these situations, I just kneel before God and I just pray for peace. I pray for His guidance and His protection. Then I ask the Spirit to intercede for me and to pray for me. Then I can just sit back and relax knowing that whatever happens, my God is in control.

I'm going to end this blog with a quote from Philip Melanchthon, a German reformer that collaborated with Martin Luther during the great reform. "Trouble and perplexity drive me to prayer and prayer drives away perplexity and trouble."

  

1 comment:

  1. prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays. - true... :)

    thanks for this anni... :) may God continue to empower your prayer life.. :)

    ReplyDelete