Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Soar like the eagles

I learned something really interesting about eagles recently. Did you know that eagles can detect impending storms long before it breaks? When the eagle detects it, it would actually fly to a high point and wait for the storm to come. When the storm arrives, the wind from the storm would pick up the eagle and lift it above the storm. Then the eagle would simply set its wings and soar above the storm. Isn't this an amazing image? Here is a storm that is just destroying everything on the ground, and here is an eagle just gliding above the wind unaffected by the chaos underneath. This picture reminds me of one of my favorite verses in Isaiah,
"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31
I think this is the picture God was illustrating with this verse. When storms of life happens, we have no ways of escaping. But we have the option of soaring above the storm just like the eagles. We have the option of not immersing ourselves in our disappointments and our miseries. When we are frustrated by our circumstances, we need to look up and refocus ourselves.

Remember the bible story of Jesus walking on water? When Peter saw this, Peter asked the Lord if he could walk on water with Him. Jesus said come and Peter begin to walk on water toward Jesus. But when Peter saw the wind, he became scared and he begin to sank. So he cried to Jesus and Jesus reached out His hands and caught him. (Matthew 14:22-33) I think this is a familiar story to most people. The moral of the story is that when we keep our eyes focused on Jesus, we are not sucked into the storms of life. But once our gazes shift toward our circumstances, that's when we begin to sink.

Now the question is, how do we soar above the storm like the eagles? I guess the simple answer is, trust in Jesus's mighty power. Remember, He has the power to lift us above the storms. If our Lord can part the red sea, raise the dead, heal the blind, He can solve our problems and give us a way to cope with our circumstances. As Paul reminded us in Philippians,
"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28
God is at work for you and I, we don't need to be afraid. As someone once said to me, if the situation is not good yet, it's not the end yet. Remember, the storms do not have to overcome us any more than they overcome the eagle. God has the power to lift us above them. Then we can soar with Him above the roaring thunder and the rising water. We just need to make that initial step to trust in Him. The question is, do you trust?

I'm going to end this with one of my favorite songs. I think the lyrics is a perfect fit with this blog.


Hide me now
Under your wings
Cover me
within your mighty hand

When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with you above the storm
Father you are king over the flood
I will be still and know you are God

Find rest my soul
In Christ alone
Know his power
In quietness and trust




No comments:

Post a Comment