Monday, December 6, 2010

What's in your hands?

One common phrase people said to me often for the last few months is "God never gives you more than what you can handle." During my trial, I sometimes questioned if this was true. I often complained to God that the trial was too much, and I wasn't ready to handle something like this. There were times when I despised everything that happened and everything around me. I remember asking God to turn things back to the way they were because the burden was too much and I felt like I was suffocating underneath it. Then God reminded me that not only does He think that I was strong enough to go through this, I wasn't alone in this fight, He would provide a path for me so I will not crumble under the burden.
"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." 1 Corinthians 10:13
Looking back now, I realized that I was able to handle the trial I went through. Of course I wasn't alone, God was with me the entire time and He never left me my side. During the time when I was too weak to move on, He pulled me up and carried me through. I came out of the trial stronger than I was, better than I was, and closer to Him than I was.


During my trial, God reminded me the example of Moses, and I want to share it with you. When God called Moses to lead the Israelite out of Egypt, Moses was very reluctant. He questioned God repeatedly why he was chosen and how he could possibly do this. Moses was not only unsure with his own ability, I think he was also anticipating the hardship and trials he has to endure if he embarked on this journey. Moses wondered if the trial he had to face was too much and if he could bear it. Then God asked Moses a question,
'The the Lord said to him, "what is that in your hand?"' Exodus 4:2
Moses said a staff and God did something miraculous with that staff. We all know the story after, Moses did many miracles with the staff and he successfully led the people out of Egypt. In other words, with that staff and the abilities God give him, Moses did what God called him to do and he persevered through the trial God gave him. God didn't leave Moses helplessly fending for himself through the trial, God gave Moses tools and people around Him so that he could conquer through. God reminded Moses what he had in his hand.

Now why did I bring this up? I brought this up because God calls each one of us onto a life journey with Him. He did not promise a calm journey, but He promised that He will be with us every step of the way. We all face different storms in life, but God does not leave us to helplessly sink, instead, He gives us what we need to strive through. Thus, when we are facing a trial that seems too much to handle, we need not to be afraid. Instead, we need to be like Moses and look into our hands to see what God has given us to help us to proceed through the storm. This could be people God placed around us, previous experiences, words from the bible, worship songs, faith and hope for the future...all these are tools God has given us to strive through. So next time when you are in doubt of your ability to survive through a trial, look in your hands and see what's there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment