Thursday, January 20, 2011

Happy Ending

I've always been a big fan of happy endings, whether that's in books, movies, or TV. In fact, when I was a little girl, I used to read the ending of the books first to ensure that I won't be disappointed by the ending. Crazy right? Of course I don't do that anymore, but if I had a choice between a book with a happy ending or a book with a sad ending, I would gladly choose the happy ending book. In fact, even though I'm well advanced in age, lol, I still love watching Pixar animations. Why? Because with Pixar films, you are guaranteed a "happily ever after".

Most people I know have the same preference for happy endings, of course they may not be to the same extend as I am... Have you ever wondered why there is a general preference of happy endings in stories? Why is it that when a movie has a sad ending, we feel empty and disappointed? I think it's because happy endings give us hope. When we watch a movie or read a story, we sympathize with the main character's struggles, we see the character's endurance and perseverance, then we see them overcoming their struggles and live happily ever after. We sometimes see our life in parallel. Everyday we face different problems and different trials in life. Sometimes we become so frustrated with our problems that we can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Watching or reading stories with happy endings give us the hope that we can too persevere through, and there is indeed a light at the end of that tunnel.


We all wish for happy endings in our life, we all want to hold onto that hope, but do you realize that we live with a happy ending? It's true, we as Christians, we live in a story with a happy ending! We already know the ending to our story. We already know God's promises. We already know what we have to look forward to. No matter how frustrated we may be with our current circumstances, no matter how crushed we may feel by our burdens, no matter how hopeless tomorrow may look, we know at the very end, it's going to be wonderful.
"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." Revelation 21:4
This is our happy ending, our something to look forward to. Here we are taking a part of a story that is full of hope and indescribable joy. So what does this mean for us who are struggling through trials right now? It means we need to hold onto that hope, we need to look ahead to the glory that's coming. Even in stories with a happy ending, there are little events and situations throughout the book that the character has to go through in order to learn and grow. Right now we are just plowing through. We also need to hold on tight to God's words. Sometimes we feel like we are just in this utter darkness and we can't find our way out. Well, the bible is like headlamps on a dark highway. Although we can't see what's at the end of the highway, we have just enough light to illuminate that 160 feet in front of us to guide us safely there. The bible gives us sneak peaks of what's to come, it's like getting glimpse of the end of the book, we already know what's going to happen.
"In my Father's house are many rooms, if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me so that you also may be where I am." John 14:2-3

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Anni! :)

    These words that you wrote stood out to me: "It's true, we as Christians, we live in a story with a happy ending! We already know the ending to our story. We already know God's promises. We already know what we have to look forward to."

    I love happy endings! After reading this very heartwarming blog, I feel a very happy ending to my day! Thanks Anni! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! Praise God for our happy endings! :D

    ReplyDelete